Many smoothie recipes originated out of Brazil in the 1930s. They became popular and have spread around the globe. Today there are literally hundreds of variations for smoothie recipes. Most people who seek out smoothie recipes are doing so for healthy reasons, but with smoothies it is all about the ingredients. Some smoothie recipes are loaded with things that are not so healthy so make sure you know what you’re getting.
A typically smoothie recipe consists of a blended beverage made from fruit that can include a wide variety of other ingredients. One thing that makes smoothies so appealing is that it is easy to “hide” a lot of healthy stuff that may not taste so grate with the fruity flavor. With healthcare costs skyrocketing and obesity and diabetes reaching epidemic proportions, many people find a smoothie recipe that helps them with whatever health challenges they may be facing. Many smoothie recipes have become a part of a lifestyle change for healthier living.
Make your own smoothie recipe. Most people feel the need to follow directions closely. With a smoothie you can through that out the window. Experiment, live healthy, and have some fun. Most smoothies simply consist of blended up stuff so go get your blender and start off with some basic ingredients. If you mess up you will just end up with something that doesn’t taste so good, but you can always adjust. Here are some ideas for getting you started with creating your own smoothie recipe.
Start off with some juice. Many people use fruit juice with vegetables already mixed in. It is a good idea to put in a couple of ounces of yogurt as well. You can experiment with the amounts but start off low and add more as needed if your smoothie gets to thick. Below are some great things to add to your smoothie recipe. Mix and match and change things out once in a while. It is a good idea to pre-freeze anything you can to keep your smoothie cold. You can add ice as well to quickly cool your smoothie off as well. Try to blend it up good and if it gets to thick add in small amounts of fruit juice, soy milk or almond milk till it is soft enough to drink through a straw.
- Any kind of fruit – get the pre-frozen from the supermarket or freeze the fruit yourself.
- Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries are high in antioxidants
- Avocados are heart-healthy and make the smoothie creamy without adding other saturated fats. Recommend pealing, slicing and freezing before using. Then you can just pull a couple out of the freezer and throw them in the mix. Be careful to many can make your smoothie taste funny.
- Almond, Walnuts, and pecans are all very health so try adding a handful into the blender.
- Some people add in small amounts of frozen vegetables like broccoli or spinach but stay away from some like onions have too strong of flavor to hide.
- Cayenne pepper is good for you and as long as you don’t add to much your smoothie recipe will have a nice little zing.
- Oats (plain old fashion kind), Oat bran & flaxseed are all heart healthy
- Peanut butter (get the pure stuff)
- Whey powder
- Green tea
- Herbal supplements or nutritional supplements
- For sweetener you can use local honey (helps with allergies), artificial sweeteners or be bad and add chocolate, sugar, or even syrup.
Go down to your local health food store and ask for things to add to your smoothie recipe. You can look for things that build immunity, add essential vitamins, or naturally cleanse the body.
Creating variations of your own smoothie recipe and consuming them for breakfast daily is a great way to living a healthier life. Weather your goal is to lose weight, lower your cholesterol, build your immunity, or just live healthier creating your own smoothie recipe is a great way to start. So participate!